Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Another orientaion?? Really??

So yesterday I went to my internship, only to have yet ANOTHER orientation. I officially start working on Wednesday, no more orientations!! This orientation was a bit more informational for me than the other one. This one was all about what we do with the kids and stuff. I got to the LIFE office and had to fill out an account and stuff, there were 2 other girls there for the orientation, one is from Germany, and the other is from England, and the guy that did the orientation is from Estonia!! It was pretty cool hearing everyones different accents!!

The orientation was just basically telling us where we will be working, how we will get there, and what we do. We basically just play with the kids, they have 5 different sites they go to, and it just depends what day it is which site they go to. And for example every Wednesday they go to a site and throw a birthday party for all the kids in that area that have a birthday in that month, they get a birthday cake that we make, and a wrapped present, which is awesome, because kids in these areas don't get things like that ever!! Other things we do with them is we take them to the pool, museums, or we just sit and play with them, color, or whatever we can to keep them entertained and off the streets. I'm pretty excited because I'm starting on the birthday party day, then the next day I'm going to the pool with the kids, yeah I think this is going to be a fun job :).
After the internship was over, Sarah (the girl from England) invited me out for a drink, I politely declined by saying I don't drink, she seemed surprised at first, and then almost desperately said well a coke or something? She had mentioned earlier in the orientation that this is her first time traveling far away by herself, and she doesn't speak ANY Spanish. So I said yeah I guess I can go for a coke, we went to a restaurant on the corner, and we both ended up getting a Licuado of strawberries and oranges (its kind of like a smoothie). It was fun getting to know her and stuff, and of course I loved her accent!! She went to Sri Lanka a few years ago to volunteer there, and she said her next goal is to go to Kenya, she sounds a lot like me :).

So that was my first day at the LIFE offices, I'm excited to start for real tomorrow, to meet the kids and really get into my internship!!

Here is a video of a couple dancing the Tango, they had a Tango show on the boat on the way home from Uruguay, it was pretty cool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment